Classic Devans

As my friend Chris pointed out, my website URL makes my name look like Ted Devans. Thus, whenever anything ridiculously funny or intensely awkward happens to me, according to him, it can only be described as Classic Devans. I hope to impart some of that shit that happens here.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Photos that make it look like I'm here by myself.

I just bought a new digital camera per recommendation of my friend Alix Klingenberg (http://www.blackmarketphotography.com), and outside of a weird scratchy area on the screen that looks like a tumbleweed and never goes away, it works great.

I used to have a sweet digital camera as a graduation gift from my Uncle Bill, but my friend Graham (who used to date Mallorie from SCAD but wound up in Chicago after planning a trip to Hawaii but getting stuck financially, small world) smashed it with his ass on one Monday Funday back when Lucky's had the $1 personal pitchers (it was in my jacket on the back of a bar chair which he sat in and proceeded to drunkenly fall over in, crushing the corner of the camera) but fortunately he was a good enough dude to pay me back for it. However, I took forever trying to figure out which camera to get, and didn't make a move until I just told Alix to pick one out for me.

This deserves a full telling: I had moved out of my apartment in Wrigleyville on June 1st with the intention of getting a place with my friend Kent. The place I found was on Montrose and Racine, and belonged to two girls I met whose lease was up on July 1st, and one of them happened to be leaving on June 12. Perfect. I would stay on couches for two weeks, then move into my new place and hang out with Kent for a week before heading for Wisconsin on July 9th. (This did mean, however, that I would have to pay for the four months I would be gone or find a subletter for that amount of time.) About a week before I was supposed to move in, Kent informed me that he didn't want to sublet or be by himself for the time I would be gone (amongst other reasons) and would be subletting with some friends from SCAD who had a room for about the amount of time that I would be gone. This was actually better for me, because this way I wouldn't have to pay rent for the time I would be gone, and Kent wouldn't lose his mind in a new city by himself. So I proceeded to stay on Michael and Kate's couch for a month, which was really awesome of them to put up with me for that long. The two girls seemed pissed that I had made such a deal about moving in and then bailing, which would not have been a huge problem for me other than the fact that I had ALREADY CHANGED MY ADDRESS TO THEIR APARTMENT AND THEY WOULD NOT CONTACT ME TO GET ANY OF MY MAIL INCLUDING THE DIGITAL CAMERA I JUST SPENT TWO HUNDRED BUCKS ON. I
was flipping out, because I had tax return stuff and information
and scripts for Wisconsin on the way. Luckily, I finally got my mail and on the last day in Chicago before coming here, just randomly checked with the post office and they had my digital camera. Phew. Complicated, but now, you can see pictures from the place where I'm at.

The other reason I told this long winded story is because as I haven't taken pictures in like six months, I am a bit out of practice and a little shy about asking people I just met to take their picture, so these may look like I am here alone, but I will post pictures with things going on in them soon I'm sure.

Here is my room! I live above the costume shop. It's the largest room in the place, but the only privacy I have from downstairs is a door thing with a pulley system to close off the stairs. NICE.


This is a view of the lake:

This is the Canteen, where they sell snacks and have vintage photos up showing old shows and the originial theatre (the newer stuff was just finished about two years ago, including the theatre.)



Here are some pictures of the theatre, including a few angles and the set for the current show, Born Yesterday, (which is great), and a botanical garden thing on the opposite side. The large brown thing (or the fly space, I don't know what it's called) is apparently the highest point on the whole peninsula.























Below on the left is the riggedy cabin that the interns all share, and they have a tarp on the ceiling to keep bats out, but apparently bats, snakes, bugs and all other sorts of horrifying things still manage to plague them. It is also the picture that is used for postcards from here a lot. On the right is one of the actors' housing buildings, which I will be moving to come September.
Here is a couple of pictures of the Beer Garden where everyone sits during intermission, and also where we eat food if it's nice outside. (The weather seems to change on the hour here). It also looks way cooler at night.





















Here is the rehearsal hall, both inside and out, where I spend most of my time lately.



A few days ago I went exploring and discovered these badass houses on the Lake:


























And here's a couple from Bar Night, which is every Saturday when they leave the bar open til midnight after the show so we can get super cheap company price drinks. I've only been to one, and it was a blast, which is probably why I don't have more pictures from it. On the left is Bob the Bartender who is there every show night serving drinks and making a huge bonfire at intermission. On the right is a couple of my friends, Heather, Kat, and Mallory.










So, there's some pictures. Huzzah! I plan on taking many more in the months to come, but I may try to find another way to post them since putting them on this blog was a pain in the ass. This week we are having Christmas in July parties towards the end of the week, and I have to find three gifts to give to my Secret Santa and then make them do something in order to receive a gift. Popular tasks in the past have involved sending your secret santa recipient on a scavenger hunt; making them dress in drag and say "I am a pretty pretty princess Please don't spank me" (I'm sure I'm screwing that up) and only getting their gift when three people spank them regardless; Making people do Cher impressions, etc. So I'm going to have to work on that one. Michael may be coming to visit this weekend, which would be cool. After seeing someone everyday for a month and then not seeing them for a week, it feels like it's been awhile.

No comments: